The SGPS Health Plan provides students with an affordable, easy-to-use plan for a full 12 months. The main features of the Plan are:
- SGPS members have their own plan designed for and by SGPS members;
- The Plan provides for 80% coverage of all medications (including oral contraceptives and anti-depressants) which are prescribed by your physician;
- The Plan provides 80% coverage of the dispensing fee charged by pharmacies up to $5.00 per prescription;
- You may use your student card at most pharmacies to immediately claim your 80% coverage;
- Comprehensive, 24-hour out-of-country emergency medical coverage that provides 100% reimbursement for all eligible medical expenses;
- Extended health service (paramedical) benefits such as chiropractic, massage therapy (doctor's prescription required), physiotherapy and other services. Coverage of $30 per visit up to a $350 combined maximum per benefit year;
- Vision care maximum of $115 every 2 years and is applicable to both lenses and frames
- Coverage can be extended to your spouse/ dependants during the opt-in period that corresponds with the term you registered (September or January) only.
The SGPS Health Plan is an extended health care plan that was originally
approved as a student fee in March 1997 and re-approved in the March 2001
referendum. All on-campus SGPS members (Graduate, Law, Education and Theology students)
who pay fees (full-time or part-time status) are charged the single coverage
fee when registering in September.
Health Plan Costs
Please click here for health plan costs.
Students registering in January are not automatically assessed the fee, but
have the option of enrolling in the Plan(s) during the January opt-in period.
Off-campus students do not pay student activity fees and are not automatically
assessed the Health/Dental Plan fee. Any SGPS member not automatically
assessed is eligible to opt-in to the Health/Dental plans by contacting the
SGPS office directly in September (or January for students registering in
January). Students must pay the SGPS activity fee when applying to
opt-in to the SGPS health/dental plan.
Please note that this page is provided for information purposes only, to view
detailed health and dental plan information, please pick up a brochure at the
SGPS office, or click the icon to the left to download the pdf version.
The brochure is the official document outlining the plans and the SGPS does not
take any responsibility for discrepencies between the brochure and the
information displayed on this page.
Green Shield Canada Group Health Claims Department
P.O. Box 1652,
Toll free.: 1-888-711-1119
GreenShield Student Centre Online
Please note that due to the time it takes for Green Shield to upload
eligible students to their system following the opt-out period, any
claims received by Green Shield before mid-October will be rejected. Please
do not send claims to Green Shield until mid-October. If this causes you any
financial hardship, please contact the SGPS office.