The SGPS Dental Plan protects students with an affordable, easy-to-use plan for a full 12 months. The main features of the Plan are:
- SGPS members have their own plan designed for and by SGPS members;
- The Plan provides for 100% coverage for all basic and preventative services, including one annual check-up and one full consultation with the dentist of your choice (only the first two units of scaling are covered);
- 75% coverage of minor restorative work;
- 75% coverage of extractions and oral surgery;
- 10% coverage of endodontics, periodontics, and major restorative work;
- 50% coverage of wisdom teeth extractions (limited to 4 per benefit year;
- The Plan is "open", so that you may visit the dentist of your choice;
- Maximum benefit is $750 per benefit year.
Please note that the SGPS plan covers silver fillings in molars. If you receive white fillings, they will only be partially covered.
The SGPS offers a dental bursary for items covered at 10% or in the case that you have used the maximum of $750 in a benefit year. For more information about the dental bursary, please click the icon to the left.
The SGPS Dental Plan is an extended health care plan that was originally
approved as a student fee in March 1997 and re-approved in the March 2001
referendum. All on-campus SGPS members (Graduate, Law and Theology students)
who pay fees (full-time or part-time status) are charged the single coverage
fee when registering in September.
Dental Plan Costs
Please click here for dental plan costs.
Students registering in January are not automatically assessed the fee, but
have the option of enrolling in the Plan(s) during the January opt-in period.
Off-campus students do not pay student activity fees and are not automatically
assessed the Health/Dental Plan fee. Any SGPS member not automatically
assessed is eligible to opt-in to the Health/Dental plans by contacting the
SGPS office directly in September (or January for students registering in
January). Students must pay the SGPS activity fee when applying to
opt-in to the SGPS health/dental plan.
Please note that this page is provided for information purposes only, to view
detailed health and dental plan information, please pick up a brochure at the
SGPS office, or click the icon to the left to download the pdf version.
The brochure is the official document outlining the plans and the SGPS does not
take any responsibility for discrepencies between the brochure and the
information displayed on this page.
Green Shield identification (certificate) number: "SGP" + your student number + "00"
Green Shield policy number: 23786
Green Shield Canada Dental Claims Department
P.O. Box 1608,
Toll free.: 1-888-711-1119
GreenShield Student Centre Online
Please note that due to the time it takes for Green Shield to upload
eligible students to their system following the opt-out period, any
claims received by Green Shield before mid-October will be rejected. Please
do not send claims to Green Shield until mid-October. If this causes you any
financial hardship, please contact the SGPS office.